When skiing in Japan is a dream winter holiday everyone shares, one of the main reasons that everyone keeps coming back is the holy deep, lightweight, and super dry powder that is so much fun to ride, and of course, As we already know, the famous après ski atmosphere and soaking it all in at a hot and relaxing onsen.
Japan has more than 400+ ski areas, and the famous ones like Hakuba, Niseko village, and Nozawa Onsen are generally overcrowded. accommodations book out early and transport can be 3hrs plus from the nearest airport… So people have started searching for easy access and hidden gem ski areas, with that being said you can expect at the lesser-known resorts local dialect and don’t always speak your language, but not at Madarao, this place still has 2-3 years left to say that IT IS a hidden gem ski area!
Madarao is only 2 hrs from Tokyo and is super easy to travel to, for this is one reason it is becoming a more and more attractive ski area among local Japanese, Aussies, and Kiwis over the past 5-10 years. At the base of Madarao is the Iiyama Shinkansen Station, Where you can take the bullet train direct to and from Tokyo. Also at the base of Madarao is the expressway which is a popular option for Japanese Guests who often travel by car. Note that if you are adventuring Japan by car, you will need a vehicle with 4WD and Snow Tyres or chains, an international driver’s license and snow driving experience are a plus.
It’s an all-in-one ski resort destination whether you’re traveling with your family with kids, friends, couples, solo, or even if you’re non-skier… you can still enjoy various day and night après ski activities in Madarao ski resort.
Après in the A.M.
If you’re a non-skier, here’s a guide on what to do and where to go around Madarao.
Take a day-trip tour, And explore the spirit of Madarao. Here’s a list of day trips you can choose from.
- Snow Monkey Tours
- Discover Zenko-Ji Temple
- Discover Togakushi
If you’re a foodie, you’ll never run out of things to try I promised!
- Unjaune Madarao, I’d recommend a reindeer burger!
- Sakura Okonomiyaki, A really exclusive brunch spot that serves the best homemade okonomiyaki on the mountain.
- Mother Goose Cafe, Cozy and warm. A place for your caffeine boost and we are constantly bringing in new beans from Columbia, Brazil, Indonesia, and Japan!
- Crepe house Madarao, Of course, how can you not have colorful and flavors crepes when you’re in Japan!
Après in the P.M.
After a day shredding on the slopes here’s what you can enjoy around Madarao, besides the onsen.
- Live Music Night at Active Life Madarao, Highly recommend for dining out, a hot hangout spot for meeting new people.
- Ice Bar Music Hall at Active Life Madarao, Like it’s not already -11°C but the alcohol will keep you warm!
- The Shaggy Yak, Friendly staff, great Japanese fusion dishes.
- Raicho Supper Club, A fine dining experience, with an ambiance that is perfect to spend with your loved ones.
There you have it, Our guide to things to do at Madarao ski resort. Regularly check in here or follow us on Instagram or Facebook so that you don’t miss out on any fun Après skiing activities or exclusive events 🙂